Upon waking up this morning, I felt incredibly sad to think about my family and friends on Long Island and New York City currently without power and even worse, those in Staten Island and New Jersey who have lost everything. We’ve compiled a list of ways you can help both from afar and close by.
If you can’t get hands-on, here are ways to help those in need:
1. American Red Cross: To donate, visit their website, which also allows users to find their local Red Cross chapter and pinpoint areas in greatest need. You can also call 800-Red-Cross or text “Redcross” to 90999 to make a $10 donation.
2. Operation USA focuses on getting medical supplies and generators to affected areas. The organization accepts money, frequent flier miles and text-generated donations. To quickly donate $10 to Operation USA, text “OPUSA” to 50555. Visit their website to learn how to continue helping relief efforts.
3. The Humane Society is also accepting donations via text message, to donate $10 text “ANIMALS” to 20222. To learn more on how to help the animals affected by the storm, visit their website: http://www.humanesociety.org.
Want to get physical? Here’s how you can help:
1. Drop off food either, pre-made, boxed or canned as well as bottled water to the closest, open City Hall near the affected areas. They will make sure to provide your donations to the appropriate organizations. Don’t forget clothing as well, it’s cold out – so coats, gloves & scarves are highly needed!
2. Salvation Army: Providing food, clean up kits as well as emotional and spiritual care. To donate or get involved, visit their website.
3. Feeding America is accepting donations to help them provide food, water and other supplies to those affected by Sandy. You can also call 312.641.6846 and ask for Patrick Crawford, he’ll help you to find out the nearest location for drop off.
4. Want to help with CLEAN UP? HLNTV.com has listed a great source of registrations in the NYC and surrounding areas that really need the extra hands. PLEASE do not deploy on your own, you may think you’re helping, but you could be adding more work.
Our thoughts and prayers are with all who were in some way or another affected by Superstorm Sandy. We can not wait to get back to NYC to get hands on and help in any way we can.
Want to add to the list? Leave a comment and we’ll be sure to update!
– Team KC